Translate

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Kevin Bauman




Those four photos were from my little photo shoot over at Leavesden mental hospital on the 22nd October 2011, all taken with a Nikon D3000. I took two of my friends on the 40 minute walk from my house over to the place where my mother once lived with her family (not as patients, but as both my grandparents worked there for a period of time), and where people went when they lost their minds. It's an incredibly sad place to walk around, and the scenery has completely changed, what was once a reception and a few main wards have become flats and what was once a dining area has been completely knocked down and a park was built in its place, the only things still standing either serving their purpose or left unchanged is the barn and sewage plant, the cemetery, the house at the end of the grounds and the chapel. The chapel doesn't really concern me much, it's not weathered or worn or tired, it stands as it was, completely unchanged, as if it'll stand there forever, whereas the barn & plant, the cemetery and ground house are abandoned and have been for many years, without much care or attention, though the plant was bought by a Shane Anthony Lanigan, in hopes of using it for something, but never did. I find the emptiness of the place eerie, never mind the knowledge that it once housed people with dire thoughts and vivid hallucinations. 
I've always been a fan of abandoned places, it's always been the wonder of why that does it for me, the fact that they stand so weak looking now, but so so strong. I would like to think they reflect me, maybe.

Kevin Bauman did the set 100 abandoned houses and photographed around his hometown, Detroit. He did it to show how awful Detroit had become, with it's constant lack of people to occupy the space, but the fact is, sadly, that all abandoned places only light an emotion in someone that has been destroyed by something themselves, by a person or place or feeling. People that have been down but not destroyed simply can't see the same impact, which is actually incredibly frightful, but you can't fight that in a person, you have to allow them to believe it's a useless space till they can feel the same thing.
It's difficult, but they'll come around.




I also find the fact that all the photos are face on, it's almost horrifying, as if it's staring you down, and trying to merge itself with you to rekindle the dying emotion that we suppress all our lives.
We've all been abandoned.
I simply can't understand that someone could not see the pain in these pictures, they may not understand them, but there is an overwhelming attack of pain and partial panic in these, and I think that's what I actually like about them.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment