Translate

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Abandonment and loss (AS work)

I find there's a sort of universal feeling of abandonment with everybody now, no matter where you go, or who you talk to, or what you believe, there's a sense of abandonment or loss with everyone.
Last year during Photography AS I pretty much continually showed all this loss and hurt in my work, and molded my work around the thoughts and feelings of the abandoned mind, as it were.
"The mediation between expectation and thought"
Taken with a Fujifilm Finepix s5800 this year.
Chris Martin-Taylor in Watford town center.

 ---
"The worst abuser"
14 prints out of 78 cigarette packets I photographed.
I asked a numerous amount of people to either write on a packet or give me something to write on them,
I kept 8 of my favorite's ranging from "I miss my old life" to "I want to die" but my personal number one is the green Mayfair Menthol 10s packet with "it's OK" written on.


These were both finals for last years AS, and were very much influenced by my prior diary's, the people around me and my own thoughts and emotions; both were titled by the first line of two diary's.
It's something that's said regularly, by regular people, but really, I have actually suffered a lot of loss, and a lot of hurt has come from that, and the sort of loss I've dealt with is something that doesn't leave you, it instead leaves you with emotion that drowns you very quickly unless you find something to force it at, to hope it leaves you. I showed going through loss alone in "the mediation between expectation and thought" through showing complete loneliness in a seemingly busy place, and how when you really burst out of that place, there's no real relief, you must carry on going, despite the fact you feel you've dealt with whatever is killing you, and in "The worst abuser" I showed collective loss, how everybody feels abandoned by something, but really, it's all the same thing. It started off as a show on addiction, how we're all addicted to something, be it beauty, weight, cigarettes, drugs, food.... anything, yet it's all very similar. I found throughout setting up, though, that people tended to feel really possessive over the packet that held their quote, as if they were trying to hold on to whatever was hurting, rather than let it hurt them again, and I quickly changed my plan to loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment