Translate

Monday, January 30, 2012

Negative Space

I quite like the concept and (most) outcomes of negative space drawings/paintings.
They come out very much like a photogram and have a very unattached-from-reality feel to them.
- Photogram

- negative space drawing.

A photogram is made by placing objects onto some light-sensitive darkroom paper and shining the light onto it, to create a reverse shadow, or what is, essentially, a negative, whereas negative space drawings are drawing the area around an object to make it look the same.

I really like photograms as they're so easy to change and they can be created in a multitude of ways.
Photograms can be made on top of actual images, they can be done using the sun (then "sealing" the image only using the last two chemicals in photo developing and they can even be done as a drawing or image on top of clear plastic. My favorite series of photograms has to be by Man Ray, a photographer I became quite interested in at the beginning of the previous school year, and though I am not quite so interested in his general photographs now, i still enjoy his photograms, and of course, Le violon d'ingres.

these are a couple of my photograms, but developed via spraying developer onto them, the first is my hand and a necklace, the bottom one is my necklace and three rings.
I quite enjoy photograms, you never know how it's going to come out, which is always interesting..

these are my negative space drawings, taking 2/3 minutes each. I'm a fan of the aesthetic qualities of negative space drawings, but not of personally creating them. I prefer to add my own style to a drawing, but negative space drawings leave no space or ability to be able to do so, therefore, not so much a fan.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment